Monday, May 11, 2009

Tortilla Soup




















I found this recipe for Tortilla Soup in my 101 Things to Do with a Slow Cooker cookbook, but I adjusted it a little based on what I had available, and things I wanted to add to my soup. :) My husband loves corn, so I had to add it to this soup, along with a couple of other special ingredients. It is starting to get kind of hot for soup right now, so I probably won't make this again until winter. :) If you like a lot of heat, you can increase the spicy-ness by adding extra chili powder, red pepper flake, or hot sauce to this. I prefer a milder heat. :)

Ingredients:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 can (14 oz) chicken broth
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes, with liquid (I used the Italian kind)
1 can (4 oz) diced green chiles
1 can (14 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
1 cup salsa (mild or medium)
1 handful fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 tbsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
2 flour or corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
Cheese, shredded

Spray inside of Slow Cooker with non-stick spray. Add all ingredients except tortillas and cheese to the Slow Cooker. Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours. About 10 to 20 minutes before serving, make the tortilla strips. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray and spread tortilla strips evenly on the tray. Bake at 300 F for 15 to 20 min or until crisp. Pour soup into bowls, then add shredded cheese and tortilla strips on top. Makes 4 to 6 servings. Enjoy! :) 

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: