Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mini Frittatas




















These make a delicious and healthy breakfast! I have seen similar recipes for frittatas on multiple websites, but I do mine a little different. These ones are easy to make, and you can use a muffin tin to make mini frittatas, which are the perfect size for little hands (cuts down on cooking time too)! I use a regular sized muffin tin, and just fill them up halfway with my egg mixture, but you can also use a mini-muffin tin for bite-sized frittatas. You can use any vegetable you like (or what you have on hand). I like to use a green veggie with tomatoes. Not only do you get protein from the eggs, you also get iron from the green veggie and vitamin C from the tomatoes, which helps your body absorb the iron. I normally add a little dash of garlic powder for extra flavor, but I forgot this time. My son LOVED them, even without the extra flavor! I love when he nods his little head while saying, "Mmmm mmm!" :) These little frittatas also make a great hors d'oeuvre for a breakfast or brunch party! 

Ingredients:
3 eggs
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese (any cheese would be fine)
1/4 cup Chinese Broccoli, steamed and chopped (regular broccoli or other greens, like spinach or asparagus would be great too)
1/4 cup Italian style tomatoes, drained and diced (I like to blot them with a paper towel to absorb some of the moisture so the eggs aren't so "liquidy")
Season to taste with salt, pepper, and/or herbs and spices

Preheat oven to 375 F. Whisk eggs and milk together until combined. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until equally distributed. Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray. Use a small spoon or measuring cup to pour the egg mixture into the muffin cups, filling only halfway. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until the egg mixture is firm in the middle. My mixture made 9 mini frittatas. You can double or triple the recipe to make more, if you like. Enjoy!

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: