Monday, May 4, 2009

Applesauce




















As you may have noticed from my previous posts of things I feed to my son, I don't like to give him a lot of sugary things. I like to find more natural ways of sweetening his foods. So, I make my own applesauce for him instead of buying the store bought sugary ones. Good apples are sweet enough as it is! My son LOVES this applesauce, plain or mixed in with something else (oatmeal, pancakes, muffins, etc.). I think this is a pretty simple recipe, since there are only 2 ingredients. It does take a little extra time, but it is so worth it! If you don't give your baby any spices yet, you can omit the cinnamon. It will still be yummy! 

Ingredients: 
4 apples, cored and quartered (any kind is fine. I prefer Gala)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Bring 1 inch water to a boil in a medium to large pot with a steamer basket. Place prepared apples in the steamer basket. Cover and cook until apples are fork tender. Cool until you are able to handle them with your hands.* Peel skins, or otherwise remove flesh from the apples. Place in food processor and add cinnamon. Puree or chop to desired consistency. Serve and enjoy! Makes about 1.5 cups. Freezes great! 

*Note: If you're in a hurry, after the apples are done cooking, I like to put them in some ice water to help them cool faster. They are much easier to handle when they're nice and cool! :) 

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: