Thursday, May 14, 2009

Quinoa Muffins




















I found this recipe in an old Everyday Food magazine that my mom gave me. I saw the words "quinoa" and "muffin" and I knew I had to try it! I was so excited to try this recipe because I LOVE giving my son quinoa (pronounced "keen-wa")! It is actually a seed that is treated as a grain. You can also use it instead of rice, couscous, or other grains with your meals as a side dish and it is sooo good for you! It is high in protein and essential amino acids, making it a complete protein source. It is also high in fiber, B vitamins, magnesium, phosphorus, and iron, and it is gluten-free. You might be able to find quinoa in your regular supermarket. I had better luck at Whole Foods or Sprouts, but I think Trader Joe's may carry it as well. Look for it in the grains section. I changed up my recipe based on what I had available. The original recipe calls for raisins, but I used dried peaches instead. You can use any dried fruit you like. It wasn't overly sweet, but it was good enough for my son, and he's the best critic I have! :) Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for pan
2 cups flour, plus more for pan
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup dried peaches, chopped
3/4 cup milk
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 F. In a medium saucepan, bring quinoa and 1 cup water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cover and cook until water has been absorbed and quinoa is tender, 11 to 13 minutes. 

Meanwhile, brush a standard 12-cup muffin pan with oil; dust with flour, tapping out excess. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, peaches, and 2 cups cooked quinoa. Reserve any leftover quinoa for another use. 

In a small bowl, whisk together oil, milk, egg, and vanilla. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. 

Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool muffins in pan, 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve and enjoy! 

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: