Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Dried-Peach Oatcakes





















I found a similar recipe in my "Cooking For Baby" cookbook, but changed it up a bit. I wanted to find an easy snack to make for my son. These turned out okay. They are not very sweet, but my son seems to like them okay. I might try changing the recipe a little the next time I try making these. You can use any dried fruit you want. I happened to have some delicious dried peaches on hand, so I used them in my recipe. If you want to sweeten the oatcakes up more, you can add more honey, use some agave nectar, or add vanilla to this recipe. The recipe in my cookbook calls for coconut, which I am not a fan of, so I omitted it from my recipe. If you like coconut, by all means add it to your recipe. It might even make these oatcakes a little sweeter. :)

Ingredients:

2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 tbsp honey*
3 tbsp dried peaches*, finely chopped
2 tbsp unsweetened coconut*, finely shredded
1 cup hot water

Preheat oven to 400 F. Line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick spray. 

In a mixing bowl, combine oats, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center and add the butter and honey. Combine with a rubber spatula until all oats are coated. Mix in peaches and coconut (if using). Heat water in a teakettle or saucepan until very hot, but not boiling. Add hot water 2 tablespoonfuls at a time to oat mixture, stirring after each addition with a rubber spatula, until oats become wet and sticky. You will not need to use all of the water. With wet hands, mix oat dough a final time. Dough will be sticky and loose. 

Using 2 large spoons, scoop and drop dough onto prepared baking sheets. With wet fingertips, shape dough into 2-inch round, flat oatcakes.

Bake oatcakes until edges turn golden brown and centers are firm and not sticky, about 15 minutes*. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. The oatcakes will crisp while cooling. Makes 15 to 18 oatcakes.

*Note: Any dried fruit would be fine to use in this recipe. Coconut is optional. If you want these a little sweeter, add extra honey (or agave nectar, or vanilla). I baked my oatcakes for 13 minutes, and I think that was too long. Next time I make these, I will try 10 minutes first, then add minutes as needed until oatcakes are golden brown. :) Enjoy! 

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: