Friday, May 29, 2009

Fruity Couscous




















I got the idea for this recipe from my Cooking For Baby cookbook (see April 2nd post), but changed it up a little bit, as usual. My son LOVED it and kept saying, "Mmmm Mmm!". I figured he would since it has fruit in it, and that is always a hit with him! He has had couscous before, but I wasn't sure how he would like the texture of Israeli couscous, since it is a little bigger than regular couscous. I guess I had nothing to worry about! If you haven't tried couscous before, it is a great substitute for rice with your meals. It isn't a grain, but a pasta made from semolina wheat. I think it is delicious mixed with almost anything! Here, I mixed it with Golden Raisins and Pear puree. You can use any fruit you like. I thought about using some of my dried peaches or dried cranberries too... maybe next time! :) Enjoy! 

Ingredients:
1/4 cup golden raisins (any dried fruit would be fine)
1/4 cup pear puree (any fruit would be fine)
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tbsp agave nectar
1 cup Israeli couscous (regular couscous would be fine too, just not as creamy)

In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine 1-1/4 cups water with raisins, butter, salt, cinnamon and cumin, and bring to a boil. Stir in couscous, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 3 minutes. Add pear puree and stir to combine. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 5 minutes. Give a final stir, then serve. Makes about 4 cups. 

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: