Saturday, April 11, 2009

Tooth Fairy Pillow



Ok, so obviously this is not for my son... Two of my nieces are turning 5 this year, and I wanted to make something special. So, I thought about it awhile, and I thought, "Hey, they're gonna be losing their teeth pretty soon... I'll make a Tooth Fairy Pillow!" When my sister and I were little, my mom made us small pillows (with a pocket for our teeth) to put under our big pillow for the tooth fairy. Since I just recently learned how to use a sewing machine, I thought I'd give it a try too. So, I couldn't decide on what shape to make, and originally I was going to make a heart-shaped pillow with a little pocket on the front. Then, my husband came in and said, "You should make it shaped like a tooth!" Wow! My husband is more creative than me... Turns out the tooth-shape is quite difficult when you're a newbie to the sewing machine, so I don't recommend it if you're new like me... But if you want to give it a try, go ahead! I decided to make another one that's more simple...  a small rectangle. Corners are much easier than curves! If you want to try it, here's what I did...

Simple Version: Get whatever fabric you like, then cut it to the shape you want, twice (one for the front, one for the back). Then get a different color fabric and cut in a small shape for a pocket. Sew on the pocket to the front side of the pillow fabric first. It's easier to do a square-shaped or triangle-shaped pocket here if you're new to sewing (like me). Once the pocket is sewed, place the front side of the pillow touching the back side of the pillow (so that it looks like it's inside-out). Line the pieces of fabric together so they're even, then sew around the outer edge (don't get too close to the edge of the fabric, leave a little extra space). Don't sew all the way around! Make sure to leave a small "gap" on your pillow edge so that you can turn the pillow right side out and stuff it later. Once you're done sewing, find your "gap" and carefully turn the pillow right side out and make sure all the corners are out and even. Then stuff the pillow with your stuffing. I used a polyester fiber fill in mine. Then slip-stitch your "gap" to complete!

Add-Ons: I added some little snips of lace fabric that I had from an old shirt of mine to the edges of the rectangle pillow. I just placed the lace fabric between the other pieces of fabric before I started sewing, lined them all up so that the lace was pointing inwards towards the pillow, then pinned the three fabrics together and sewed slowly... moving the pin as I sewed along the edge. When I got to my "gap" after stuffing the pillow, I hand-stitched the remaining snippet of lace to the other pieces of fabric, then closed the gap. I also added some ribbon "hooks" in the corners so the "Tooth Fairy" can grab the pillow easier. I hand-stitched the ribbon after I had already finished stuffing and closing my gap, but it could be done while you are sewing all your other fabrics together (it would probably look better this way). You would just make a ribbon "hook" and point it towards the inside of the pillow (with the edges of the ribbon touching the fabric edges), then sew all your fabrics together as described above. 

On mine, I also added a story that I found about the Tooth Fairy online. Click here for a cute Tooth Fairy website! I also tied a small piece of paper to the pillow with some instructions on how to use it. :)

Have fun! 

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: