Friday, April 10, 2009

Pumpkin-Pear-Banana Pancakes

Ok, I know it's a mouthful! I've made many different versions of pancakes for my son! They make a great finger food for toddlers! He LOVES any pancakes I make him! I added some fruits that are delicious together! Pumpkin and pear go great together, and bananas make everything naturally sweet! I know pumpkin is out of season right now, but I love all the flavors and smells of fall, so I've been keeping some canned pumpkin on hand for my family. I personally am not a fan of maple syrup (I know, I'm weird), but I'm sure these would be delicious with a little drizzle of syrup over top. My son loves them plain, so that's how I'll serve them... as long as possible. ;) You can make your own pancake mix, or use a store-bought one. I think it is so much easier to use the store-bought kind. I like any of the Arrowhead Mills brand, but I usually use the Multigrain type. You can mix in any type of fruit (or veggie for that matter) with the mix and they will turn out great! I've also made blueberry, strawberry, apple, and sweet potato pancakes, or a mixture of a bunch of things like these ones. If you don't like chunks of fruit in your pancakes, you can puree the fruits before mixing them with the rest of the ingredients. My son loves them either way! 

Ingredients:
3/4 cup Arrowhead Mills Multigrain Pancake Mix
1 tbsp Canola Oil
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp milk, soymilk, rice milk, or water
2 tbsp pumpkin puree
1 tbsp cooked diced pears, or pear puree
1/2 banana diced, or pureed
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
dash of ground ginger
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp agave nectar

Mix the first 3 ingredients together only until lumps disappear. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Place about 1/4 cup sized scoops onto medium high (375 F-400 F) heated pan (I spray mine with non-stick spray). Spread out batter to make a circular shape. Flip pancakes when bubbles start to form on the surface and the edges begin to dry. Cook the other side until lightly browned. Serve and enjoy! This recipe makes about 6 to 8 four-inch pancakes. 

Note: For thicker pancakes, use less liquid. For thinner pancakes, use more liquid. For an extra nutritional boost, add a little bit of flaxseed meal to the batter before cooking! :)


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: