Friday, April 24, 2009

Agave Nectar


Ok, so if you've been reading my blog, you have probably noticed that I use agave nectar quite often when I'm baking or cooking anything sweet. I'm sure some of you are probably wondering, "What is Agave Nectar?". So, I decided it was worthy of it's own post! :) Here is why I feel better about giving my son sweets made with agave nectar instead of sugar: Agave nectar is a natural sweetener made from the extract of wild agave (a plant). It is certified organic and is lower on the glycemic index than other sweeteners (such as sugar or honey), so its great for anyone who is watching their glucose intake. It is not as sticky as honey, and pours more easily than honey, so it blends in your drinks or foods quicker. It is sweeter than sugar, so you don't have to use as much to get your foods or drinks deliciously sweet (1/4 cup of agave nectar is equivalent to 1 cup of sugar)! It might be available at your local grocery store, but I usually have to get mine at Sprouts or Whole Foods. Happy sweetening! :)
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: