Monday, April 27, 2009

"Grown-up" Grilled Cheese

Sorry, I know this isn't the best picture. I didn't have my camera handy, so I had to use my cell phone camera. :) This is one of my husband's favorite meals! He LOVES it! I have made this many times for him, so I thought, I might as well put it on my blog! You could probably give this meal to your kids too and they would probably enjoy it as well! I use prosciutto, which is an Italian type of bacon/ham. It is available in most supermarkets in the deli section. We get a large pack at Sam's or Costco. It is rather salty, so you definitely don't need to add any salt to this sandwich. I have a special "Stuffed Sandwich Maker" from Williams-Sonoma, but I'm sure you could cook this sandwich just as you would a regular grilled cheese sandwich (over a non-stick pan or skillet, and flip). Just be careful that all the "insides" stay together. ;) You could also use a panini press if you have one. We both love dipping the sandwich in some delicious (and easy) tomato soup, but I like to add a little extra spice to my soup. Try it on a cool night sometime! :)

Ingredients for 2 sandwiches:
4 slices sourdough bread (I used wheat in the picture, but it's better with sourdough)
6 slices prosciutto (you can use regular ham if you don't have prosciutto)
4 slices tomato
4 slices mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp fresh chopped basil
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp or so fresh ground pepper

Ingredients for soup: 
Canned Tomato Soup, condensed (if you have time, you can make homemade tomato soup)
1 full can water
1 tsp or so Italian seasoning
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Fresh chopped basil leaves (for pretty)

Putting it all together:
In a small bowl, combine olive oil and pepper. Brush only one side of each slice of bread with oil mixture. On the dry side of the bread, pile your ingredients... I put 3 slices of prosciutto per sandwich, then add tomato slices, a sprinkling of pepper, then 1 tbsp basil leaves per sandwich, then 2 slices mozzarella each, then place the other slice of bread on top (oil side up). "Grill" in pan over medium to medium high heat until cheese is melted and both sides are golden brown and crispy. You can use a spatula to "smash" all the ingredients together, then flip carefully. :) To make the soup, mix together tomato soup and water over medium to medium high heat. Add Italian seasoning and pepper (I like to crush the dry herbs in my fingers before sprinkling in the soup, to get more flavor out of them). Mix well, and heat until warmed through. Dip sandwich and enjoy! 

Note: If you have a nifty "Stuffed Sandwich Maker" like me, preheat to high while putting the sandwiches together. When the machine is ready (green light), open, spray with non-stick spray, then place sandwiches in their designated areas. Close, lock, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Use a spatula to remove the sandwiches. Cut and enjoy! 

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: