Monday, April 6, 2009

Gardening!

I've always wanted a garden like all those celebrity chefs have at their homes... somewhere I could just go outside and grab some herbs or veggies and add to my meals! Well, my husband and I had this planter put in a couple years ago when we got our yard done, and originally I had planted some flowers in it. Then, last year I decided to put in some herbs and veggies. I'm no pro-gardener, so I didn't really know what to expect, or how long to wait for veggies to be done, etc. The 2 things that grew well were my Basil and Thyme. They even started coming back to life after the "AZ winter" was over. I think the problem last year was that I used more seeds instead of plants that had already started growing... So, this year I bought more plants than seeds at Lowe's. I planted a little extra Thyme, because I love using it in some of my recipes. Also, Dill, Sage, Rosemary, Cilantro, Summer Squash, Bell Peppers, and Roma Tomatoes. I also got some Pumpkin seeds that I'm growing in pots until they start sprouting, then I'll plant them as well. I'm crossing my fingers on the veggies... But, I'm pretty sure the herbs will be okay! :) I'll keep you posted on how it turns out! I know right now it looks kinda shabby... I'm hoping it will look green and luscious in a couple of months! I was really excited when I was planting and I saw a bunch of earthworms in my soil! They are really good for aerating and fertilizing the soil! I think gardening is great! It is relatively good exercise, it is peaceful, and it is something fun you can do with your family! Kids can learn a lot from watching things grow from a seed to a plant... and hopefully to something you can eat or enjoy! :) Also, if you grow your own fresh herbs, veggies and fruits, you'll be saving lots of money! 
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: