Friday, April 3, 2009

Banana Muffins

I've tweaked this recipe I found for banana nut bread to create my banana muffins many times. My son LOVES them! I haven't given my son nuts yet, and I personally don't like nuts in my "sweets", so I don't use any nuts in my recipe. But you are more than welcome to use nuts in yours, if you're a nut person! :) I have done different things with this recipe, including adding carrots, orange zest/juice... etc., and it usually turns out great, no matter what I do! I'll put other combinations I've tried as separate posts later. For this particular recipe, I added a little bit of flaxseed meal, which is great for a little boost of Omega 3! You can't taste it in the muffins, so its great for a little extra nutrition in your sweet treats! Also, if you don't want to use a lot of sugar, you can substitute 1/4 cup of Agave Nectar instead of the 1 cup of sugar. It will be just as sweet!

Ingredients:
1 pkg. (8 oz) Cream Cheese or Neufchatel, softened
1 cup sugar (or 1/4 cup Agave Nectar)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 3 medium bananas)
2 eggs
2-1/4 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tbsp. flaxseed meal
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)


Preheat oven to 350F. Beat cream cheese, sugar and butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add banana and eggs; mix well.

Add combined dry ingredients, gradually; mix until moistened. Stir in walnuts, if using. Pour into greased and floured or paper cups in muffin trays. 

Bake 25 to 35 min, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (mine took about 30 min). Cool 5 min; remove from trays; cool completely on wire rack. Makes about 18 to 20 muffins. Serve and enjoy!

*If you prefer to make a loaf of banana bread, bake 1 hour and 10 min in a 9x5-inch loaf pan. 



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: