Friday, April 17, 2009

Better BBQ Sauce


In the quest to get my son to eat more meats, I learned that he LOVES barbeque sauce! Hmmm... I can't imagine why..? Probably has something to do with how sweet it is... In fact, by adding barbeque sauce to any meat, I can pretty much guarantee that my son will eat his meat! He's gotta have his protein! :) Anyways, I didn't want to buy just any old barbeque sauce from the store. Those are loaded with sugar! So, I began researching "healthy" barbeque sauces on the web. There aren't very many out there that don't include ketchup (also loaded with sugar). But I found one, and modified it to suit my son better. It tastes great, and he LOVES it! He kept saying "num num num" after each bite! It also has some veggies in it, which makes it much better for him. I am one happy Mama! I poured my sauce over some shredded chicken and put it in a mini whole wheat pita for my son. I'm sure you could make a big batch for your family and serve up some delicious sloppy joes for dinner! Yum! 

Ingredients:
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup sweet potato puree
1/2 cup carrot puree
1/2 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp molasses
1 tbsp agave nectar
2 shakes Tabasco
pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in medium saucepan over low heat, until combined and heated through. Pour over your favorite shredded meat for a great barbeque sandwich, or brush over whole cuts of meat before grilling. Makes about 2 cups. Extra sauce freezes nicely. Enjoy!

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: