Sunday, July 5, 2009

"Barbeque Chicken Buns"


So, in my previous crescent roll recipe, I had said that I would try to make my own barbeque pork buns. Well, this is sort of my take on that, with some slight differences. I took the meat idea, and used chicken instead, since I didn't have shredded or diced pork in my fridge. I also used my Better BBQ Sauce recipe which I had frozen into ice cube trays... and I must say, it freezes and defrosts very nicely! So, besides the chicken that I had to cook, I basically had most of the ingredients (rolls and BBQ sauce) already prepared, so this was a very easy recipe for me to put together. But, I realize that if you are going to try to make my version of barbeque sauce, then there is a little bit more work involved for you. :) Otherwise, to make it easier (and faster), you can certainly use the store-bought barbeque sauce and you'll have these "buns" prepared in no time! In case you missed the BBQ Sauce post, here's a little background info on my barbeque sauce: My son LOVES barbeque sauce, and I know that if I drench his meats in it, he will definitely eat more protein! However, my problem with store-bought barbeque sauce is that they are loaded with sugar! Obviously, this is the reason why my son likes it so much! So, I tried to make a healthier version for him. We both think it tastes pretty good, and I snuck in some veggies too! :) Needless to say, my son LOVED these barbeque buns! Yay! Enjoy!

Ingredients: 
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
1/2 cup Better BBQ Sauce (recipe below)
1 tube refrigerated crescent rolls (I used the Pillsbury Big and Flaky)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine barbeque sauce and chicken and stir until sauce is evenly distributed throughout the chicken. Unroll and separate crescent rolls onto a baking sheet. Place about 2 tbsp of meat mixture onto each crescent roll, and spread all along the inside of the roll. Starting at the wide end, roll up the crescent all the way to the tip, making sure meat stays in place. Curl the two ends of the roll to make the crescent shape, and lay on the baking sheet. Space rolls about 2 inches apart from each other on the baking sheet. Bake at 350 F for about 15 to 19 minutes, or until golden-brown. Makes 6 to 8 rolls. 


Better BBQ Sauce
Ingredients:
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup sweet potato puree
1/2 cup carrot puree
1/2 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp molasses
1 tbsp agave nectar
2 shakes Tabasco
pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in medium saucepan over low heat, until combined and heated through. Makes about 2 cups. Extra sauce freezes nicely. Enjoy!

Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Theresa said...

Looks yummy! Do you think the canned chicken would okay?

mamammelloves said...

The canned chicken would probably be fine to use. Just make sure to drain it well before adding the BBQ sauce.

AnickH said...

I make this same thing but I just use curlys premade bbq pulled pork from the tube container and i also add cheese. either way, crescents bbq and pork, cant go wrong