Thursday, July 16, 2009

Easy Quiet Book


I LOVE making these quiet books! They are sooo much easier than trying to design my own (see "My ABC Book" post). This little fabric book took me only two of my son's naptimes... so about 3 hours in all! All of these fabric book panels come with instructions, which makes it even easier to put together!

My mom gave me this panel of book fabric for Mother's Day, and I love it because it talks about where food comes from. 

I also love it because they visit a farm and learn how things grow into the foods that we eat. 

In the story, it's Grandpa and Grandma's farm... wouldn't that be cool if all grandparents ran a farm? Mmmm... farm fresh food all the time! :)

Page 8 is my favorite... I think it looks like me... brown hair, and baking everything in sight! :)

My son will just have to be satisfied with our backyard garden, and the occasional trip to a Farmer's Market...

This book was written and illustrated by S.K. Johnson, and designed by Possibilities for Avlyn.

So, here's what you need:

1 book panel
1 yard medium-weight nonwoven interfacing 22" wide OR
24 x 36" thin batting
General sewing supplies

Here's how to make it (these are the instructions that came with the panel):

1. Cut out the six 2-page units along the outer edges
Cut interfacing or batting the same size as the book cover. 
Baste (or iron) interfacing or batting to the wrong side of the book cover. 

2. Pin unit for pages 1/10 to book cover with right sides together. Make sure tops of pages are facing. Baste. 

3. Stitch with 1/4" seam allowance, leaving an opening for turning. 

4. Clip corners. Turn right side out. Press. Turn in seam allowance at opening and slipstitch closed. 

5. Repeat steps 1-4 with unit for pages 9/2 and unit for pages 3/8 placed right sides together. Repeat with unit for pages 7/4 and unit for pages 5/6 placed right sides together.

6. Place book cover open on flat surface with pages 1/10 facing up. 

7. Centering smaller pages on larger ones, place page 2 face down on page 1, page 4 face down on page 3. Check sequence of pages. Pages 5/6 will be facing up. 

8. Machine stitch on center line, backstitching at each end to secure pages.  

Share/Save/Bookmark

6 comments:

Multiple personalities.. said...

This is great! I see these book panels all the time at the crafts store, but I've never made one since my boy is past that stage. But since I have a new baby niece, I now have someone to try these out on . Thanks for sharing!

Dumb Mom said...

If you made that you are AWESOME! Even if you didn't you rock for stopping by my blog and being all nice:) Thanks! Come back any time.

Debbie said...

I didn't even know they made those panels. These are great.

Theresa said...

This turned out good, plus it's educational! I like that!

betty-NZ said...

What a great idea! And, as always, learning a bit as you go is a big plus for me!

Unknown said...

Fabulous thanks for sharing on BPOTW. I will have to send the link to Ki, she might get into making these.