Friday, July 10, 2009

Another Tooth Fairy Pillow

I made this Tooth Fairy Pillow for my other niece that just turned 5 years old! She has actually already lost a couple of teeth, so I know she will be using this. If you missed my previous Tooth Fairy Pillow post, here's a little recap: When my sister and I were little, my mom made us small pillows (with a pocket for our teeth) to put under our big pillow for the tooth fairy. I previously made two pillows, (one that I liked, one I didn't) and I gave the one I liked to my other niece for her 5th birthday in April. 

So here's how you do it... 

Simple Version: Get whatever fabric you like, then cut it to the shape you want, twice (one for the front, one for the back). I think a simple square pillow is the easiest. Then get a different color fabric and cut in a small shape for a pocket. Sew on the pocket to the front side of the pillow fabric first. It's easier to do a square-shaped or triangle-shaped pocket here if you're new to sewing (like me). Once the pocket is sewed, place the front side of the pillow touching the back side of the pillow (so that it looks like it's inside-out). Line the pieces of fabric together so they're even, then sew around the outer edge (don't get too close to the edge of the fabric, leave a little extra space). Don't sew all the way around! Make sure to leave a small "gap" on your pillow edge so that you can turn the pillow right side out and stuff it later. Once you're done sewing, find your "gap" and carefully turn the pillow right side out and make sure all the corners are out and even. Then stuff the pillow with your stuffing. I used a polyester fiber fill in mine. Then slip-stitch your "gap" to complete!

Add-Ons: I added some little snips of lace fabric that I had in my scrap pile to the edges of the rectangle pillow. I just placed the lace fabric between the other pieces of fabric before I started sewing, lined them all up so that the lace was pointing inwards towards the pillow, then pinned the three fabrics together and sewed slowly... moving the pin as I sewed along the edge. When I got to my "gap" after stuffing the pillow, I hand-stitched the remaining snippet of lace to the other pieces of fabric, then closed the gap. I also added some ribbon "hooks" in the corners so the "Tooth Fairy" can grab the pillow easier. I sewed them while I was sewing the pillow together. I placed the ribbon hooks in the corners facing inwards towards the pillow, pinned it in place, then kept sewing around the pillow.  

On mine, I also added a story that I found about the Tooth Fairy online at the ToothFairyLand website. Click here for this super cute Tooth Fairy website! I also tied a small piece of paper to the pillow with some instructions on how to use it. :)

Have fun! 


Share/Save/Bookmark

8 comments:

Marina@EBMR said...

This is so pretty and very special.The girls can keep their pillows from you and pass on to their next generation....really love them!!!You have such great ideas :>

P.S. I'm coming over from SITS....bunny hop over to find out how you can get 50 free photos and enter 4 great giveaways:http://energizerbunnysmommyreports.blogspot.com/(Dr Hippo books, CoverBee Laptop sleeve, Chex Mix bars, Piggy Paint- 10 winners in all!!):CoverBee and Dr Hippo books end on Sunday :>

Penelope said...

Ooh! Pretty! I'll be trying this.

http://penelopesoasis.blogspot.com

thatdesigngal said...

What a wonderful idea! It is soo cute! I will have to keep this in mind for when the time comes, thanks for sharing!

Thank you for stopping by, please feel free to stop by anytime!
~Mary

The Blonde Duck said...

That is beyond cute.

Anonymous said...

oh lovely...

you are very talented..

Chandy said...

Hello, SITStah! Thank you for coming by and celebrating with me yesterday. I felt so loved by all the wonderful comments like yours! Visit anytime! ;-)

Anna Lefler said...

That is so cool! Very creative!

Have a great weekend...

:-D Anna

MaricrisG said...

This is a great idea Mel. My daughter is 5 years old and hasn't started losing her baby teeth yet. Now I have this pretty idea when its' time. Thanks!