Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Miso Soup

My son LOVES Miso soup! Anytime we go to a sushi restaurant, the waitress brings out a little bowl for him, with some added rice. He usually finishes it, which makes me happy. It's another way for him to get some extra protein, and iron. :) So, I know it's not soup season, but I was dying to try to make my own miso soup. I got some of the ingredients at an Asian supermarket, and some at Whole Foods. Since I knew my son loved the seaweed and tofu in the soup at the sushi restaurant, I bought some to add to the soup here. Also, when I got the container of miso, I noticed that there was a simple recipe on top (just miso and water), which made it a little easier. However, I didn't use their guidelines. It needed more miso, and more yummy ingredients in my opinion... So, here's what I came up with, and it tasted so good! I made 2 cups worth of soup, and he ate at least 1 cup... probably more. 
He loved it, as expected, and I was so happy! :)

Ingredients:
2 cups water
5 tsp light yellow miso
1 handful of Nori, shredded (or Kombu)
1 tbsp Bonito flakes
2 tbsp dried Shiitake mushrooms
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup tofu, cubed
1/2 cup rice, pre-cooked

In a medium pot, stir together miso and water, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Reduce heat to low, and return pot to burner. Add the remaining ingredients, and cook until heated and mushrooms are tender. Serve and enjoy! Or, if serving to little ones, cool to room temperature before serving. This is probably about 4 servings, but with my son, it only ended up being 2 servings! 

Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Mami said...

I am a japnese mom,nice meeting you!
i 'm glad to see that you made a miso-soup. wonderful.How do you like it?

mamammelloves said...

Hi, Mami. Thanks for stopping by my blog! We all love miso soup over here! So yummy! I'm sure you probably make a better version of it, though! ;)