Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sausage and Grits




















I found this recipe in an old Everyday Food magazine, and my husband and I LOVED it! I changed it a little bit based on what I had and also, since the original recipe was only for 1 serving, I doubled it. My husband and I love grits and I thought this recipe used a great mix of flavors in a unique and delicious way! Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
2 precooked chicken-apple sausage links, halved and sliced
1 small white onion, thinly sliced
1 bunch asparagus, tough ends removed, cut into 1-inch lengths
2 tsp fresh thyme, or 1/2 tsp dried
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup grits or yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook sausage until browned, tossing occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes; transfer to a plate. Reduce heat to medium. Cook onion until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add asparagus, thyme and 1/3 cup water. Cover, and steam until asparagus is just tender and water has evaporated, about 6 minutes. Add sausage and lemon juice; toss. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. 

In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup salted water to a boil; gradually whisk in grits. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 6 minutes. Stir in cheese; season with salt and pepper. Serve sausage and asparagus over grits. 

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: