Sunday, September 8, 2013

Catching Up...

Well, I've changed just a little bit on my blog. I'll probably continue updating it for awhile. But, I wanted to post a little something while I have a tiny bit of spare time. :) I was debating whether or not to go back in time and post some of the things that I've been doing over the last two years... because I have still been sewing and making things, just haven't been able to blog about them! Computer time is limited these days. I have decided to go back a little bit, but only to the beginning of this year... mostly to show the quilts I've made. So here's one post about my favorite thing to make... quilts!


Grandpa's Memory Quilts: I made two of these quilts for my two uncles. It has now been almost 3 years since my grandpa passed away. I finally got to making these quilts starting at the beginning of this year. They are made from my grandpa's clothes... shirts, pants, a robe, pj's. I cut his clothes into 5" squares to make 3 quilts out of them... one for each of his children (my uncles and my mom). I just did a simple random pattern for these two. They're not perfect--since there are different types of fabric, they shifted a little while sewing. But, I kinda like the charming imperfection. ;)


I also kept the back simple. Blue was a color that my grandpa looked great in... because of his blue eyes. I also added my "tag", but two hexagons this time. I didn't have any fabric from my grandma's clothes when she passed away... besides, I didn't even know how to sew back then! But my mom gave me a shirt that used to be hers, and I was able to sew a piece of both my grandparents on the back. :)


Here's the quilt I made for my mom. She deserved a special pattern. ;) I just made a pixellated heart pattern using the same 5" squares, but putting mostly the darker colors in the heart shape. As you can see, I had two dark colors leftover (bottom right), but no biggie. My mom loved it, of course! 

More soon! 
Have a great week!






Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: