Friday, May 20, 2011

Blogger's Quilt Festival... Baby Shower Signature Quilt

Amy's Creative Side

Here is my entry for the Spring 2011 Blogger's Quilt Festival, so generously organized by Amy over at Amy's Creative Side. Click on the button above to visit her blog and see all the beautiful quilts entered in the festival! :)


This is one of two quilts I have made for my daughter-to-be... due this August. I first mentioned this quilt in this post, but there have been some changes to this quilt since then. :) I decided to use Anna Maria Horner's Innocent Crush fabric collection in pinks, browns, oranges, and yellows, with a simple checkerboard pattern, alternating with white squares. 


Since my mom wanted to do some "quilty" themed ideas for my shower, I thought it would be cool to do a signature quilt and have the guests at my shower sign or draw a picture in the white squares. This is the quilt before washing and before signatures. I did some free-motion quilting on the colored squares of little flowers, connected in a diagonal pattern. I didn't want to quilt on the white squares, since I thought it would be more difficult for people to write on them if there was too much texture. 


Here's the back of the quilt, a simple pink flannel. A little more difficult to quilt than cotton, but luckily it is a small quilt. :) I love the soft feel of the flannel backing. 


Here are some pics of the quilt in the signature process at my shower. I used colored fabric markers that matched the colors of the quilt. I let the kids at my shower do handprints or fingerprints using fabric paint. 


Close-up. You can see the quilting better in this pic. :)


Here's the entire quilt with signatures. I still have room for more, in case someone didn't get a chance to make it to the shower. ;)


I also did some simple embroidery of my daughter-to-be's name. This was my first time embroidering on a quilt. I think I will have to do this more often! I think it adds a little extra "homemade-ness" to the quilt! :)

I am so glad that we did this at my shower. Now my daughter will have these sweet words to remind her of how much she is loved... even before she's born! :) My only wish is that I could have done something similar for my son at his shower... but I didn't even own a sewing machine back then! LOL! Maybe for a birthday or something... 

Enjoy the Festival!



Share/Save/Bookmark

10 comments:

stitchinpenny said...

Love how you made this a celebration that everyone could join. Great quilt.

Siobhan said...

Hi, Its beautiful. I love all the little personal touches and the stitching on the coloured squares is so cute :)

Quiltbenaco said...

E' molto carino!
Ciao

Karen said...

This is lovely. You have turned a simple quilt into something very special. I love the idea of your friends adding to the quilt. Love the quilting, too.

Anne at Film and Thread said...

Love the embroidery of your daughter's name! So sweet

Anne - Mommy Has to Work said...

Your quilt is beautiful!

Do you know if it's easy to repair an old quilt? I have one of my grandmothers and the fabric is coming up.

mamammelloves said...

Thanks, everyone! :)

Anne: I have never repaired an old quilt... only just inherited one! I know there are places you can take it to that specialize in restoring old quilts. Maybe check with your local quilt shop? Sorry, I'm not sure, so I'm probably no help. :(

Ivory Spring said...

What a sweet quilt!

Ivory Spring said...

Love how you quilted the quilt.

Anonymous said...

Just reading those words "baby girl to be" - oh, makes me think all pink! What a beautiful quilt. I am hoping to start my first quilt in July or August. Kind of scared - but I'll have lots of help:)

I love her name and the pink flannel on the back. Ohhh, you are having such fun!