Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tiny Tree Decorations and a Quilt Finish


Because I have nothing better to do (yeah, right)... I made these cute little trees yesterday. Wanna make some of your own? Here's how:

You need a pile of fabric scraps. I chose reds and greens for a more Christmasy theme, but you can make these out of any colors you like. I've also seen them made out of ribbon before, but as I have more fabric scraps than ribbon, I figured it would be a good way to use up some of my scraps. :)

You also need one of these styrofoam cones. They come in different sizes. Mine are approximately 6 inches tall.

Oh, you also need a hot glue gun or other crafty glue. I imagine Tacky Glue would work fine too. Cut your strips into various widths and lengths. I just eyeballed it here. I mean... it's scrappy, so it doesn't really matter. I would estimate they are anywhere between 1 to 1.5 inch width by about 3 or 4 inches in length. Place a dot of glue on the inside of the fabric, then fold over and glue the other end to form a loop.

Make a bunch of these loopy "leaves".

Then start gluing them all around your styrofoam cone in whatever pattern you want. I did green, red, green... etc. I tried to match up the bottom loops as closely as possible. It doesn't matter if the tops are uneven. You will overlap more "leaves" on top of each row to cover up the scrappy tops.

When I got to the top, I just used another scrap piece of fabric to wrap around, then cut a small circle of fabric to cover the top. Because I wanted a star, I added a loop of pipe cleaner... just punch it through the top... then glued on my star button to the pipe cleaner.

My first finished fabric tree.

I made another one with an angel button on top. You can decorate the leaves with more buttons for "ornaments" if you like. Makes a super quick and easy decoration for your home this Christmas! :)

Oh, and I finished the binding on this quilt. My 18th quilt of the year... it is ready to go to its new owner! :)

It will be for a new baby boy, coming soon!

I just love this Hooty Hoot Kangaroo fabric collection! So cute! I used more of the brown dot fabric for the binding. More pics of this other quilt soon! :)


Share/Save/Bookmark

7 comments:

CJ said...

Cute projects! I'd make the tree if my TO DO list wasn't a mile long already. The Hooty Hoot quilt is adorable.

Cidinha said...

Beautiful, great idea! I Love it!

hugs
Cidinha

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Adorable little trees! Thanks for the easy tutorial, too. And yes, Hooty Hoot is just too cute. I don't think you can even say that fabric collection's name without a smile on your face. Happy Fabric Tuesday to you!

Naturally Carol said...

Very cute, love the fabrics and colour. I have joined as a follower, you are more than welcome to come and visit anytime!

Kristie said...

What adorable little tress, and I love the quilt as well! Great job!

Visiting from Quilt Story :-)

QuilterMary said...

Cute little trees! I need a quick/easy Christmas craft and this might just be it! THANKS

Quiltstory said...

Love the trees! Super darling! thanks for linking up!