Sunday, October 31, 2010

Music Man Quilt

I finished this quilt on Friday... just in time for my step-dad's birthday celebration. It is my 16th quilt of the year! I'm now at the point where I've lost count of how many quilts I've made, so I actually have to look back on my blog posts to see what number I'm at. Pretty sad, huh? Anyways, you can see other posts about this quilt here and here. My step-dad is a really cool guy, and he's an elementary school music teacher, as well as one of the music directors at church. So, it was quite necessary to go with a music theme for his quilt. :) I don't know the names of these fabric collections. They are just all different music fabrics that I found either online or at my local quilt shop. I love the piano keys, and I was happy to find the singing choir kids, as well as the kids playing instruments. I thought they were so cute!

I thought for a moment, "perhaps it is too cute" for my step-dad. But, I think he doesn't mind so much. My mom told me that he really wanted a quilt from me, so I think he would have been happy with almost anything. With the piano keys, it was easiest to do a simple strip design for this quilt. I pieced together 6" strips with 2.5" red strips.

There are also strips of pianos among the other strips in the quilt. My step-dad plays many instruments, but piano and voice are his fortes. I was planning on doing something different with the quilting, but after practicing it on my "practice quilt", I didn't feel confident enough to do it. Maybe one of these days I can figure out how to free-motion quilt some music notes and/or staffs. For now, I will just do my usual stipple.

Hmm... I can't seem to keep my back straight. My strip of music notes is a little wonky. I guess I just don't notice it until I see it like this. Anyone have any tips on how to keep my backs straight?

I realize I don't have a good pic of the binding. I was running quite short on time. We were actually taking pictures of this quilt just before we left for his party! I found a really cool black, white, and grey striped fabric for the binding, and it turned out great! Besides my wonky back, I'm pretty happy with how this quilt turned out. I think my step-dad likes it too. Now he won't have to "borrow" my mom's quilt. :)





Share/Save/Bookmark

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

great way to capture the heart of your stepdad in a quilt for him. Its cool that he wanted you to make him a quilt.

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

That's such a cool quilt, I love the piano keys fabric and no, I don't know how to get the back straight - however hard I try, I always get a little bit of wonk!

SisterlyLove said...

That is a great quilt! I'm a piano teacher...LOVE those piano keys!

Thanks for stopping by our blog!
Genevieve
Three Spinsters

Laurel H. said...

Love the quilt! I need some of that piano key fabric for my own music quilt. :)

Anonymous said...

I made a simular type quilt for my musical husband except instead of people it was singing/musical frogs with musical instruments. My hubby loved it because it was special to his interest! I'm sure you FIL loves it/will love it!

Rebecka said...

Your quilt is perfect! I love the piano key fabric. Great quilt! Thanks for sharing!

Kate said...

How perfect for him - fabulous quilt!

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

Love that keyboard! I like how you arranged this quilt. Really nice one!

Thanks for visiting my blog too and leaving a sweet comment!

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a fun quilt!The piano keys are wonderful!! The funny thing about crooked things that if you try to make them crooked they turn out straight :)

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Hi. Thanks for the visit to my blog through BQF, and the kind comments about my landscape quilt. I had problems finding a reply email, so I hope this gets to you. some lovely quilts here on your blog :-)

Benta@SLIKstitches.co.uk
www.SLIKstitches.blogspot.com

Allie said...

This is gorgeous - I LOVE the piano keys fabric, and how you showcased it. The back is just fine, btw, this is a quilt full of character and I'm sure he loves it!

Sandra said...

What a perfect quilt for a music teacher-I'm sure it is much appreciated. Thanks for sharing.

Robin said...

Such fun fabrics! You are right-- the strippy design really works well with those piano keys. I think the stippling looks great too-- love all the texture it adds!

Tammy said...

What a wonderfully creative quilt!

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my baby quilt during the Fall Quilt Festival :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~