Sunday, January 31, 2010

First Completed Quilt of the Year!

Ta Da! Well, here's the finished project. Hopefully my first quilt of many (at least 12) this year! ;) As I had said in my post earlier, this is an "I Spy" quilt for my son. After finishing the quilt top, I was so excited to finish the complete quilt that I pretty much finished the rest in half a day. I am still not a pro when it comes to the actual "quilting" part of it, but I am experimenting and am hopefully getting better with each quilt. I did simple stitch-in-the-ditch quilting, as well as a few wavy lines throughout.
I didn't want to cover up the "I Spy" squares with a bunch of quilting patterns, in case it would confuse my son. ;) So, I just did alternating wavy stitches along some of the green and blue sashing.


I was very happy with the back of the quilt, too! I was glad that I had a bunch of the blue and green fabric left over from the front of the quilt. So, I decided to incorporate some of that on the back as well. I used cotton batting and did a simple wrap-around binding with the back fabric piece.

My son was so excited to start finding different animals and objects! I love watching him point his little finger to all the blocks! I am so happy he loves it! The quilt is now keeping him warm at night, as well as keeping him busy with a quiet activity (at least for a little while) during the day! :)




Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

SquirrelQueen said...

Fantastic! What a great idea to make it an activity as well as providing warmth.

Debbie said...

You are so talented and creative! I love this quilt. The colors are perfect.

Laurel H. said...

I LOVE this quilt! I am in the process of collecting novelty fabrics so I can do an I Spy quilt, too. I am now following your blog, because your "one quilt a month" goal is such an inspiration! (And you have lovely quilts, too!)