Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!

I finished this quilt several days ago... I was waiting for some sun to come out, so I could get some decent pictures of it. We had rain from Thursday through Saturday... unheard of in AZ! But very welcome! It definitely feels more like fall now! :)


So, I made somewhat of a Spiderweb Quilt, using a jellyroll of Saltbox Harvest by Deb Strain. I've had it in my stash for awhile. I had seen a tutorial on making these cute hexagon shapes using jellyroll strips, and an equilateral triangle template. I did it a little bit different, using only three strips instead of four, but it turned out similar. 


I've been wanting a fall quilt since I started quilting. I love the fall colors, but sadly, they never seem to last very long in the stores, or anywhere you go during the season. Every year, I get frustrated to see the Christmas stuff come out before Halloween is over, and absolutely no Thanksgiving or fall decorations after Halloween. I am glad to have my house looking like fall, at least until the beginning of December. 


I tried something new for the quilting, and I also learned something too. I probably should've used a walking foot. But, I struggled through, using my free-motion spring-action foot until it decided to break. :( Then I switched to another free-motion foot, which actually worked a little better. I tried making some sloppy hexagonal spiderwebs along the strips. They turned out okay, but overall, I'm a little disappointed. I envisioned something prettier. Luckily, I won't be putting this in the shop, and I can enjoy these colors--as well as the mistakes I made--in the comfort of my own home. :)


Here's a closer view of my imperfect quilting on the back. I used a gold thread, and kept the back simple with a nice chocolate brown. The quilt is smaller than I thought it would be, but it makes a nice lap quilt or throw quilt for the couch. 


It looks great in my brown, fall home, and will be used while the boys are watching football on Thursday! :)

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving! 






Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: