Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day, to all the Mamas out there!

I am so excited to share with you my sixth quilt of the year! I made this for my mom using Moda's Make Life fabric. I love the bright colors of it, and my mom had also shown an interest in the fabric as well, so I thought, I might as well keep it in the family! ;) My mom says she loves primary colors, probably stemming from her many years as a kindergarten teacher. :)

I did a simple design using the Make Life layer cake, jelly roll, and a basic white jelly roll. I used leftover scraps of the Make Life jelly roll for the top and bottom borders.

I also used leftover scraps of the layer cake to add to the back. I added a picture of me and my mom and a personal message on the back as well, using printable fabric sheets. Sorry, I'm not zooming in to that pic. ;)

This was my second time doing free-motion quilting, and my first time doing it over the entire quilt. I did family handprints in some of the blocks, as well as a meandering pattern all over. I have to say, it does get easier, and I'm very glad for that!

I also made some dresses for my nieces to wear to church today, so they're dressed nice for their Mama. :) Actually, I was supposed to have these for them on Easter, but I came down with a really bad cold. I used pattern M6020 from McCall's... my first time using a pattern. I was so confused! But, I made them in about a day and a half and I'm pretty happy with them. :)

I did change things up from the pattern a little bit. I used a lace trim instead of a fabric ruffle on the bottom (the lace is actually sewn onto the lining). Also, instead of hemming the top skirt, I added a white trim. I felt if I were to hem the skirt, it would be too short and show too much of the lining.

Anyways, that's what I was up to this past week! I hope you all have a lovely Mother's Day! :)


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Theresa said...

This quilt is beautiful and so nicely done. I knew Melissa was talented (I am her mom and biased), but I was blown away by the quilt she made me for Mothers Day!

The dresses looked adorable on my granddaughters and my grandson had on a tie t-shirt that was adorable.

Thanks, Melissa!